Monday, August 29, 2016

The Perfect Almond Milk Iced Latte


My biggest money saving secret is in a mason jar of espresso and almond milk. I kid you not. This recipe was something one of my best roommates ever taught me. (I mentioned K before here). It was at a time when we both weren't making very much money and the only thing we had was a hand-me-down espresso machine that either we bought at the goodwill or came from one of our mothers. I don't remember but after two weeks, we quickly realized it was a money saver at it's finest.

That was around 8 years ago and it's still a recipe I stick too. Every so often I'll mix it up and go hot but NOT in the summer time. It's also one one of the reasons I was able to stick to my No Spend Month budget and so I thought it would be something wonderful to share.

At this point, you must have realized that you'll need to own an espresso machine for this to work out. After moving home, and once I was able to get my own place, my mom gave me her old one and my current roommate and I use it to this day. It's ancient but it makes coffee and that's really all that matters.

Won't lie, I'm insanely fortunate to work at a company that has multiple coffee and espresso machines. Realistically, I could make a lot of things but it's "office coffee". For those of you who don't know what that means, well, it's not very good but it's a perk so you can't very well complain about it. We also always have almond milk in the fridge. SO, do the math here... yep, you're right. My coffee is free every morning. It's also something you can order from Starbucks or your favorite locally owned shop.

Regardless, it's a staple so I thought I would share it with you. If you're lucky, you'll be saving around $2.50 a day, at least. Which is pretty damn good, if I do say so myself.

Alright, let's begin!





The Perfect Almond Milk Iced Latte

Ice cold and refreshing latte made with almond milk, espresso and a mason jar! Simple delightful and easy. Satisfyingly caffeinated!

Recipe by: The Salad Trip

Ingredients: 
- 1 Mason Jar, obviously
- 1 Tbs Coffee Beans, or grounds
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Almond Milk
- 1 scoop of Ice or 8 Ice Cubes
- 1 Straw

Instructions:

Ground coffee beans in a coffee grinder.

Once done or if you have coffee grounds, place them in the filter basket of the portafilter of your espresso machine.

Add 1 cup of water to the gasket of the machine. screw the lid on tightly. Turn machine to brew and allow to drip into a cup.

While brewing, add one scoop or about 8 ice cubes to your mason jar. Add 1 cup of almond milk to the jar. Once brewing has stopped, add espresso to the top.

Stir and enjoy!

Optional additions: For non-dairy free, add milk and a dollop of whipped cream on top! Add coconut whip on top for dairy-free. I taught a co-worker this recipe and she uses sweet cream in hers. A bit higher in calories but you can also add a basic simple syrup to the milk to sweeten it.

Details:

Prep time: 2 min  Cook time: 5 mins  Total time: 7 mins  Yield: 1 Servings (2 if you're nice)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.