Thursday, January 12, 2017

Almost Classic Chicken Cobb Salad

White bowl on wooden table with ground chicken, avocado, hard boiled eggs, tomatoes, bacon and romaine

Remember, in my last post, how all I wanted something fiery and savory and spicy? I couldn't get enough heat in my life? - This salad is not that... Womp Womp! Truth be told, I had every intention of making this a spicy chicken cobb but some personal matters had me up all night and when it was time to cook, I just wasn't in the mood for spice. I still wanted something savory but also something that felt natural and ... peaceful. Ha! This is a peaceful salad, salad friends!

The inspiration for this salad came from a lunch trip last weekend. My sister and I went on an adventure to Nordstrom's The Grill. She'd never been there before. She order a delicious looking Crab Macaroni & Cheese and I ordered their Cobb Salad, hold the blue cheese. I then ordered it with a Dijon Balsamic Vin. I'd never heard of such a mix and don't know why I'd never thought of it before. So, for this Almost Classic Cobb Salad, I decided I would make my own Dijon Balsamic Vin., but creamy.

I love ideas for new recipes and new meals. It's exciting to try out, photograph and have friends try too. This afternoon, to be direct about it, I was upset and I've been going through quite a lot recently. Though I was dealing with my own feelings, one of my darling co-workers told me she forgot her lunch! I had just gotten done making mine and, for the first time all day, got excited about about being able to test it a recipe out on her. So, back to the kitchen to teach her how to make her own. Not gonna lie, hers came out gorgeous and she went home and bought ingredients to make it today.

What I love about Cobb Salads are the color combinations. I love the greens and reds. Almost as much as I love the reds with the whites from the boiled egg. Its colorful and beings joy. I'm happy to say she really enjoyed it and though she opted for my vegan ranch dressing, she was interested in my Vegan Creamy Dijon Balsamic Vin. for the future. Which says A LOT.

Now, I have the stamp of approval from four co-workers and the comments "What a gorgeous salad!" to "You MADE that?" #winning

Close up of ground chicken, avocado, eggs, tomatoes and bacon

Here's the break down: Night before, hard boil 1 - 2 eggs. Allow to cool over night in the fridge. Wash all of your veggies, set aside. Fry up 2 -3 slices of uncured bacon, allow to get crispy, pat down, cool, set aside. Cook chicken meat with a little bit of Himalayan sea salt and ground pepper til done.  Allow to cool.

Chop up your veggies! Lay lettuce down first, then (in a line) add your chicken, avocado, hard boiled egg, tomato and bacon. Add your favorite dressing, I suggest a vegan creamy Dijon Balsamic Vin. or a vegan creamy ranch.  

amazing cobb salad that's dairy free, healthy and natural. Chicken, avocado, eggs, tomatoes, bacon and romaine lettuce.

What's your favorite dressing for your cobb salad?

Recipe photo of the close up Almost Classic Chicken Cobb SaladAlmost Classic Chicken Cobb Salad

Natural and savory, this healthy spin on the classic cobb is bursting with fun colors, limited seasonings and your choice of dressing.

Recipe by: The Salad Trip

Ingredients: 
- 1 lb Ground Chicken
- 2 - 3 Bacon Strip, crumbled
- 1 - 2 Eggs, hard boiled
- 1 Roma Tomato, chopped
- 1/2 Avocado, chopped
- 4 -5 Romaine Lettuce, leaves
- Himalayan Sea Salt, to taste
- Ground Pepper, to taste

Instructions:

Have hard boiled eggs prepped the night before to allow proper cooling time.

In a pan, or oven, bake/fry bacon til crispy. Pat dry, let cool, set aside.

In a pan, cook your chicken (I add 1 Tbs olive oil to pan). Season with Himalayan sea salt and ground pepper to taste. Allow to cool, set aside.

Chop lettuce, tomato, avocado and egg. Crumble bacon.

Lay down lettuce first and then in rows, add your veggies, egg/s, bacon and, lastly, your chicken. Drizzle your choice of dressing and you're done!

Sit down, take a picture, post to instagram, #thesaladtrip and enjoy!

Details:

Prep time: 5 mins  Cook time: 8 mins  Total time: 13 mins  Yield: 1 Servings (2 if you're really nice)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.