Friday, January 20, 2017

Taco Taco, Boat Boat

Lettuce Leaf filled with ground beef, tomatoes, dairy-free sour cream, radishes, cilantro and topped with lime juice.

Aw yes, my salad friends, the infamous Taco Boat. A super easy, delicious, calorie exempt meal that'll keep you happy all through the night. I decided to post these beautiful little faux floating bites because:

1) I made them
2) Everyone asked me about them
3) The inauguration is today and what better way to avoid it by looking at these cute Taco Boats.
4) My first post Taco Boat post, I labelled them as Salad Bites and it was a very Spring inspired recipe, Pulled Pork Kalamata Apple Salad Bites. (Kind of a mouthful and more savory than fresh).
5) This recipe is not seasonal and is great all year round.

Lettuce leaves filled with taco filling on a white plate and garnished with lime.

What's special about these boats?

For starters, they're 100% dairy-free. #duh. They're grab-able with the right romaine to meat ratio and, lastly, they're great for parties. These would be great with tofu... something I might be working on for a future recipe. tbd ;) I love the idea of having a vegan salad for your guys to munch on.

Now I'd like to say that the sour cream is dairy-free and purchased at a store. I hear dairy-free sour cream is relatively easy to make on your own but today is not that day. It is on my list of things to try this year. I already make my own dressing, it'd be pretty great to learn how to also make dairy-free toppings and cheeses. I'm sure you remember the recipe where I attempted to make my own faux feta cheese, from scratch, in Kale's Got the Beets. I had a lot of fun experimenting with it and learning what not to do. In the end, I did like how the final product came out but if gets soft quickly especially next to just cooked chicken.

Back to this recipe. I kept this super easy and fairly fool-proof. I did minimal seasoning to the ground beef because I want the end product to be fresh. I won't lie, I made these boat with a light amount of meat because I'm trying to be veggie conscious this year. Since I did that, I only used 1/2 the pound of meat for my taco taco, boat boats. I used the other half to make a tomato meat sauce for my pasta dinners. A trick to making more prepped meals a week and to prevent boredom from repetitive dishes. Regardless, I'll put the full recipe below for about 8 servings.

Close up of the lettuce leaves with the taco fillings of ground beef, tomato, cilantro, radishes and lime juice.

Lime garnishing the taco boats.


Recipe photo of lettuce leaf filled with taco fillings. Taco Taco, Boat Boat

Natural and fresh these lettuce wrapped tacos are stuffed with protein, vitamins and minerals. All natural tastes, topped with a dairy-free sour cream and radishes.

Recipe by: The Salad Trip

Ingredients: 
- 1 lb Beef, ground
- 8 Lettuce, leaves
- 1/2 Tomato, chopped
- 4 Lime, wedges
- 4 Radishes, small
- Vegan Sour Cream, store bought
- Cilantro, 4 Tbs
- Pepper, ground (to taste)
- Sea Salt (to taste)

Instructions:

In a medium-high heated pan, cook ground beef with salt and pepper til fully browned. Remove and allow to cool to taste.

Rinse 4 romaine leaves and pat with a paper (or regular) towel til dry. Cut off the end sections to ensure you'll be able to wrap your tacos. Place one on top of the other in sets of twos. End to top and top to end.

Chop tomato and cilantro, set aside. Thinly slice radishes.

Assemble. Add about 3-4 Tbs of ground beef to each taco boat and top with a dairy-free sour cream, cilantro, tomato and radishes. Lastly, squeeze lime over boats.

Sit down, take a picture, post to instagram, #thesaladtrip and enjoy!

Details:

Prep time: 10 mins  Cook time: 5 mins  Total time: 15 mins  Yield: 4 Servings (2 if you're really nice)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.